All Original Works by Spraggins: Copyright © 2007- 2015 Jason A. Spraggins



Monday, November 17, 2008

"The Masks We Wear"

"The Masks We Wear"

*Click below to hear the sheet music:
http://www.tindeck.com/listen/remy


Well I gave up chasing dreams
a lifetime ago it seems. 
Good fortune has never seemed to favor me. 

I just haven't been the same

as the champions of the game. 
That's the way of things in my reality.

But I know the dance of hearts, 

and one must portray a part 
in whatever play circumstance contrives. 

On the stage of lust and greed, 

an actor learns to feed his need, 
reciting lines that keep the act alive. 

And no matter where I go, 

I can slip into a role. 
I sing the song my audience wants to hear.

I have sacrificed myself 

and it seems there’s little left 
of the child within the mask who lives in fear.

We wear masks and we deny 

Secret truths we lock inside. 
We all play games to satisfy desire.

We forget there is a cost. 

When we hide so much is lost. 
We masquerade and dance around the fire.

There’s a shameful cross to bear 

Just behind the masks we wear-
where we shield our soul’s from man’s invasive stare.

As years quickly pass away,

and our secret selves decay,
Our true souls die behind the masks we wear.


-Spraggins 12/07 

No comments: