All Original Works by Spraggins: Copyright © 2007- 2015 Jason A. Spraggins



Monday, November 17, 2008

"This Cage"

THIS CAGE





I suppose it was my fault
For keeping you in chains.
I must give back your bleeding heart
And try to wipe away its stains.
I’ve held you captive for so long
With guilt and words and words untrue.
My selfishness has blinded me
But now the games are through.

I built this cage for you
Like cowards always do.
I’ve kept you here with me
And ignored your misery.
You’ve  put up with this hell I built
Out of pity and because of guilt.
Your love has turned to rage,
Blinded by this cage.

Now it’s time to set you free.
It’s time to face the pain.
The way to show my love for you
Is to free you from this cage.
Love's a shelter from the world-
Not a prison of bars and stone.
I’ve held you captive for too long,
Yet I’ve always been alone.

I’ve heard that it’s been said
"If you love them, set them free"-
So I leave you- You’re free to fly
From this cage and from me.

(spraggins-march 2007)

No comments: